Job title: Senior Finance Officers, APS Level 6, Oil & Gas
Company: Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources
- Multiple Locations
- Applications close 09 Feb 2024
About the Department
The Department of Industry, Science and Resources and our broader portfolio are integral to the Australian Government’s economic agenda. Our purpose is to help the government build a better future for all Australians through enabling a productive, resilient and sustainable economy, enriched by science and technology. We do this by:
- Growing innovative & competitive businesses, industries and regions
- Investing in science and technology
- Strengthening the resources sector.
About NOPTA – the National Offshore Petroleum Titles Administrator
These positions form part of the Business Support Unit (BSU) within the National Offshore Petroleum Titles Administrator (NOPTA) and the Offshore Infrastructure Registrar (the Registrar).
NOPTA is responsible for the day-to-day administration of petroleum and greenhouse gas titles in Commonwealth waters in Australia. NOPTA is the first point of contact for matters relating to offshore titles administration. The Registrar administers licences for offshore renewable energy projects, including transmission and related infrastructure in Australian Commonwealth waters. Staff supporting the Registrar are located within NOPTA.
About the BSU
The BSU provides financial, HR and administrative support for NOPTA staff in both Perth and Melbourne. The majority of the BSU team are based in the Perth office, and we have three members based in Melbourne and remotely.
What’s in it for you?
We are seeking high performing professionals who are looking for a challenging and rewarding opportunity, to join our BSU team. At NOPTA, we place a high value on judgement and initiative. We strive for continuous improvement and have a unique and supportive environment where communication, collaboration and respect are at the forefront of everything we do.
Join our team at NOPTA and experience a range of positive and inclusive benefits, such as:
- Supportive, people-focused leadership
- Strong diversity and inclusion ethos
- Generous leave provisions, including volunteer and flex leave
- Targeted training and development opportunities
- Socially conscious workforce
- Modern, inner-city office spaces
Our ideal candidate
Our ideal candidates are enthusiastic, and willing to step-up to the challenge of being part of an innovative organisation.
They will be responsible for assisting the Business Manager to manage NOPTA finances, ensuring that NOPTA operates on a full cost recovery basis. They will work as part of a small team and support NOPTA to ensure staff are aware of and meet their corporate reporting and accountability obligations.
These are challenging, hands-on roles that requires people who are enthusiastic and adaptable, thrive on implementing continuous improvement and who can foster successful relationships.
Your skills and experience will be in line with the APSC for an APS6 position, and you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Demonstrated analytical skills and a high attention to detail, including the ability to identify issues and propose practical solutions.
- Strong experience in accounts payable/receivable, annual budgets, financial reporting, reconciliations, procurement and using financial management information systems and Microsoft excel.
- Highly developed communication skills with the ability to build and maintain effective relationships.
- Demonstrated commitment and drive, with the ability to manage problems in ambiguous situations using appropriate judgement and initiative.
- Work with independence, subject to limited direction against established practices, and methodologies to deliver quality outcomes whilst effectively managing competing priorities.
- Continuous improvement to facilitate the delivery of corporate objectives and legislated functions.
The following qualities are highly desirable:
- Knowledge of Australian Government financial accounting and reporting framework, and knowledge of Special Account.
- Sound understanding of the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (PGPA Act).
Our department has a commitment to inclusion and diversity, with an ambition of being the best possible place to work. This reflects the importance we place on our people and on creating a workplace culture where each and every one of us is valued and respected for our contribution. Our ideal candidates will add to this culture and our workplace in their own way.
What you will do
You will be responsible for assisting the Business Manager to manage NOPTA finances, ensuring that NOPTA operates on a full cost recovery basis. You will work as part of a small team and support NOPTA to ensure staff are aware of and meet their corporate reporting and accountability obligations.
This is a challenging, hands-on role that requires a person who is enthusiastic and adaptable, thrives on implementing continuous improvement and who can foster successful relationships.
Key responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Assist the NOPTA Business Manager:
- in the development, preparation and forecasting of NOPTA’s annual budgets, financial reports and variance analyses;
- in the management of NOPTA’s Special Accounts;
- in the preparation and coordination of correspondence and briefing material, including replies to Parliamentary Questions and Ministerial correspondence;
- in the preparation of complex reports, correspondence and briefing material for NOPTA senior management team.
- Build effective working relationships with all stakeholders and assist with educating staff about departmental policies and procedures.
- Complete asset management tasks including reviewing work-in-progress accounts, amortisation/depreciation, and disposal of assets.
- Prepare levy and fees notifications and follow up outstanding payments, issuing late penalty notices as appropriate and monitor and report on debt recovery cases.
- Ensure tax invoices are processed and paid within the agreed Australian Government timeframes.
- Undertaking the day-to-day accounting and finance functions of a large departmental branch, including but not limited to accounts payable, accounts receivable, banking, preparing end of period accruals, prepayments and transfer journals within scheduled timeframes.
- Provide procurement and administrative support to NOPTA staff and assist with more complex queries from internal and external stakeholders.
- Prepare reconciliations of departmental and administered accounts.
- Prepare bank reconciliations, ensuring timely transfer of funds to NOPTA’s Special Accounts.
- Participate as an interested and involved member of a small team, assisting in additional administrative and reception duties as required.
The successful candidates will hold tertiary qualifications in accounting or commerce, or be to demonstrate commensurate experience.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, candidates must be Australian Citizens.
Positions require a Baseline security clearance and successful candidates will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
A merit pool may be established and used to fill future vacancies within 18 months from the date the vacancy was first advertised in the Gazette.
The department does currently offer flexible work opportunities for many roles. This vacancy is based in our Perth and Melbourne locations, although flexible or remote work arrangements may be considered. Please reach out to the contact officer to discuss this further.
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, CV and any other documents. The selection panel may not consider applications containing classified information.
Please provide a pitch explaining how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role and why you are the best candidate for the position. Your pitch can contain no more than 500 words and should align to the key duties listed above.
Please complete your application online and provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format).
Accessible application documentation is available in other formats on request. Please contact or (02) 6276 1235 if you require assistance with your application.
Please refer to our information for additional information on how to apply.
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Dahlia Beitmanas on 08 6424 5338 or via email on [email protected]
How to apply:
- Start your application by clicking the “begin” button.
Location: Perth, WA – Melbourne, VIC
Job date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 01:25:37 GMT
Apply for the job now!