Job title: Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Sustainable Urban Freight Systems
Job description: Offer Description
Job no: 0061646
Role type: Full-time- Fixed term for 2 years
Faculty: Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
Department/School: School of Mechanical, Electrical and Infrastructure Technology
Salary: Level A $80,258 – $108,906 p.a. (pro rata for part-time)
- Contribute to the ARC Discovery Project titled “A modelling framework for designing more sustainable urban freight systems”.
- Excellent opportunity to work on cutting-edge research within the Physical Internet Lab (PI@Melbourne), focusing on developing a modelling framework for designing sustainable urban freight systems.
- Salary packaging, subsidised health and wellbeing services, fitness and cultural clubs, Myki discounts, and a 25% discount on graduate courses to our staff and their immediate families!
About the Role
This role entails conducting independent research and collaborating with peers in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering at FEIT. Focused on the ARC Discovery Project, the position aims to develop a sustainable urban freight systems model within the Physical Internet Lab (PI@Melbourne). It offers an opportunity to contribute to impactful research while engaging in teaching and research supervision aligned with the field.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Contribute to teaching, training, scientific mentoring and supervision of students
- Supervise junior research staff in the appointee’s area of expertise
- Conduct lectures, tutorials, mark and undertake laboratory duties as required by the Department
- Independently plan and carry out research on the nominated research project and work towards completion of the aims of the project
Who We Are Looking For
You will possess a track record of innovative research showcased through scholarly publications and demonstrate the ability to work independently, prioritise tasks, and meet project deadlines. Strong written and verbal communication skills, evidenced by presenting research findings at conferences and internal forums, along with excellent interpersonal abilities to engage with stakeholders both internally and externally, are also essential for this role.
You will also have:
- A PhD (or near completion) in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems or Mathematics, or closely related discipline;
- Excellent ability in analysing data, problem solving and maintaining accurate research records;
- Capability for innovative research, as evidenced by scholarly publication;
- Ability to perform independent research and a commitment to interdisciplinary research;
For further information regarding responsibilities and requirements, please refer to the attached PD.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. This role requires current valid work rights for Australia.
Your New Team
The Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT) has been the leading Australian provider of engineering and IT education and research for over 150 years. We are a multidisciplinary School organised into three key areas; Computing and Information Systems (CIS), Chemical and Biomedical Engineering (CBE) and Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering (EMI). FEIT continues to attract top staff and students with a global reputation and has a commitment to knowledge for the betterment of society.
What We Offer You!
In addition, we offer the opportunity to be part of a vibrant community and enjoy a range of benefits, including generous leave provisions, salary packaging, health and well-being services and discounts on graduate courses. For more information, check out page!
About the University of Melbourne
We’re tightly connected with the community, both at home and abroad. We take pride in our people, who all contribute to our mission to benefit society through the transformative impact of education and research. Discover more via and stay connected with our stories and people on .
The University of Melbourne values the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and welcomes and celebrates diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, parents, carers, people of all ages, abilities and genders, and people of diverse ethnicity, nationality and faith are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live. For more information please visit page.
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require reasonable adjustments, please contact Kim Groizard at , with an email containing your name and contact details for a confidential discussion. Please ensure your email is titled “Reasonable Adjustments Request”.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We aspire to be the University of choice for Indigenous Australians, with unprecedented investment to attract, nurture and retain Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and staff. Tangible support through a range of programs and initiatives will ensure that you personally succeed and flourish while at the University of Melbourne.
For further information, including our 2023-2027 Indigenous strategy please visit –
If you feel this role is right for you, please apply with the following documents:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and experience
Please note that you are not required to respond to the selection criteria in the Position Description.
If you have any questions regarding the recruitment process, please feel free to contact Shabon Nawabi via email at , ensuring that you include the Position Number and the Job Title as the subject. Please do not share your application to this email address.
If you have any particular questions regarding the job please follow the details listed on the Position Description.
Applications close: 16th March 2024 11:55 PM Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT) / Melbourne time zone.
Applications close: 18 Mar 2024 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Number of offers available 1 Company/Institute UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE Country Australia City Melbourne Postal Code Parkville Geofield
Where to apply Website
Expected salary: $80258 – 108906 per year
Location: Parkville, VIC
Job date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 05:11:38 GMT
Apply for the job now!