We all know that pizza is cheap these days, but for a really filling dinner with all natural ingredients, you can’t beat making your own pie at home. It may take a little prep time, but it is well worth the work. A little teamwork or pre-planning can make a difference in prep time too. Get the whole family involved and the pizza will be made in no time.
Dough Mix (non yeast dough):
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 medium tomatoes sliced
- ½ lb of natural ground beef
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 6 mushrooms sliced
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- Sliced black olives
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
1. Mix dough ingredients, cover and let rest for 20 minutes. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Knead dough just to remix everything and add flour if necessary to get a silk like consistency, it should not be sticky.
3. Pat dough out into large circle onto pizza stone, roll out onto stone using rolling pin until it forms a large circle, then pinch edges to hold topping better.
4. Cook in oven without topping for at least 10 minutes. Cook beef with onions until beef is nearly done, then add mushrooms, green pepper, basil, oregano, thyme, oil and garlic.
5. Take pre-cooked dough out of oven and put sliced tomatoes on top of the dough, then add the rest of the topping (beef etc), then olives and cheese on top.
6. Cook pizza for another 10-15 minutes until crust is golden brown. Do not over cook crust or burn.
About the dough mix: this dough does not require yeast. For those who suffer from abdominal bloating or gastrointestinal troubles including gas, following a yeast free diet can be quite helpful. Many people have never gone even a day without eating yeast so they don’t realize the difference.
There are also many other ways to alter this recipe. You could cook the tomatoes with the beef so they get mixed in, or add in 2 Tbsp of tomato paste and some water to make a sauce consistency. In this case, you will need to add a little salt as well, most likely about ½ tsp.
You might also experiment with different cheeses. Some suitable choices might include Cheddar, Jack, Colby, Romano, Parmesan, Provolone, and feta. You can mix many cheeses together to give the pizza a completely different feel. A little extra Parmesan with garlic is very delicious.
Different meats or no meat at all can also be a great way to alter this pizza to suit the tastes of your family and to keep dinner time fresh. Pizza can be customized by section, which makes it a great food for young families with kids. If one doesn’t like mushrooms, you just don’t add it to their section, if the other hates tomatoes, off they go from her section.
This pizza is very healthy and can cost roughly $10 depending on where you live. Although fast food pizza can seem cheaper, the reality is that you will see this pizza to be more substantial and free of preservatives or unnecessary ingredients. Additionally, you can make two pizzas at once, add a salad or a simple soup with some breadsticks to fill out the meal.
Article Source by Kimmy Verden