There are plenty of foods you should never give your dog. Some foods aren’t even that good for people, but dogs always seem to want what we’re eating. And how can you resist that little begging face? You know, the one that practically says “pleeeeaaaasssse.” But, before you give in to that K-9 companion of yours, take a look at this list and make sure you never give your dog any of these foods.
1. Chocolate. It’s toxic to dogs and tops the list of foods you should never give your dog. Baking chocolate is the worst and white chocolate is the least harmful, but please avoid giving any to your dog no matter how much he begs!
2. Grapes and raisins. These can cause kidney failure. You would think that these little morsels would be okay and even fun for your dog to eat, especially grapes because they roll around and your dog can chase them, but they can also be very deadly.
3. Onions are very bad for a dog’s digestive system, especially in large quantities, so please avoid them in any amount.
4. Bones. They are probably a dog’s favorite thing to eat, which is why this is the most surprising of all the foods you should never give your dog. They can chew, chew, chew and then bury them and dig them up for later. But the truth is, bones can splinter and become lodged in your dog’s intestines or even puncture them. Dogs can also choke on bone fragments. And it’s not just chicken bones. This is true of any bones.
5. Milk and milk-based products. An enzyme called lactose is needed to digest them, but dog’s don’t have enough of it. Even though dogs love ice cream, it’s a no-no for them.
6. Sugary and processed foods. Yeah, people eat a lot of that stuff. That’s why so many humans are obese and the weight loss industry is so lucrative. Dogs don’t digest these foods very well, so stick to healthy, nutritious, whole foods (it’s good advice for people too!).
7. Artificial sweeteners and artificial fats are harmful to dogs. In fact, they don’t really need any flavor enhancers to enjoy their food. They are happy with cooked foods just the way they are.
8. Any spicy foods or rich foods can harm your dog’s stomach. And like number 7 above, your dog does not need any spices or seasonings on his food to encourage him to gobble it up!
9. And here’s the last of the foods you should never give your dog. This one is hard because so many people do it. Instead of throwing food out that is going bad, many dog owners give it to their dog. Somehow it’s believed that dogs can tolerate this better than people. The fact is, you’re putting your dog’s health at risk by giving him food that should be thrown out.
Remember these important guidelines whenever you are considering sharing your table scraps or snacks with your dog. Fortunately, there are many people foods that are good and healthy for dogs. In fact, there are many dog food and treat recipes you can make with them. Just be sure the foods you should never give your dog, which are listed above, are not in any of them.
Article Source by Matthew Bandas